[LMB] OT: Effects of "Global Warming"

Jonathan Niehof jtniehof at gmail.com
Tue Sep 13 14:41:25 BST 2011

On Tue, Sep 13, 2011 at 4:03 AM, mtraber251 <mtraber251 at earthlink.net> wrote:
> Rob pointed out that the farmers he is accustomed to [Central Valley near
> Fresno] drill deep wells and do not depend on rainfall, and also subscribe
> to the canal system. He did not understand why in hell the ranchers did not
> drill and depended on surface water and rainfall.

Groundwater isn't always available, and aquifers are also part of the
water cycle (a slower part.) Some of the massive ones seem to be
slowly draining--this was likely a problem before climate change, but
may be accelerating now due to upsets in the water cycle, and
certainly putting additional pressure on them will make it worse. I'm
in the mountains and can get ground water...Santa Fe, having reduced
the Santa Fe river to mud, is now drawing from the Rio Grande.

> I think people who build on flood
> plains and coastal zones that get hit by hurricanes regularly are foolish.

"Regularly" is going to change. Vermont is a coastal zone? That's the
part of the Northeast, not built for hurricanes, which got hammered
this time around.
http://www.mansfieldheliflight.com/flood/