[LMB] OT: Effects of "Global Warming"

Paula Lieberman paal at gis.net
Tue Sep 13 15:24:03 BST 2011

There's been talk of a civil works project to bring water from the
Mississippi to dry but farmed  parts of the USA south and west of the
Mississippi, which project has never happened.... despite the Tennessee
Valley Authority providing federally subsidized (federal taxes having paid
for the construction and administration at least for the initial costs of
the project) power and water to people in that region of the USA, and flood
control, and federally subsidized water flowing most of the length of
California, especially from north to south via huge waterworks including
Heechheechee I think it's call water redistribution canal or tunnel or some
such, also with significant diversion from the Colorado River.  The citizens
of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts paid and continue to pay a steep price
for the construction of  Quabbin and Wachusetts Reservoirs and distribution
of water from them eastward to most of eastern Massachusetts for supplying
water, and the citizens of New York state paid high for water distribution
in that state to places which include New York City.

The citizens of one California locality on the other side of San Francisco
Bay from San Francisco, rejected have a water desalinization plant installed
at essentially no charge to them, because it would mean population growth,
they apparently preferred having the place burn down from a lack of water
during dought times instead (I can;t rmember the name of the place, it had
an FS-7 radar ontop of a hill, and I remember talking to someone there who
was describing the burning wildfires in the vicinity which were visible from
the radar site, back in the mid to late 1970s...)

One of the things which got civilization started in various parts of the
world, were national-level waterworks projects for flood control and
agricultural use and provision of water for citizens--China with its
waterworks, Mesopotamia, Egypt with channels of water from the Nile, Central
and South America with terracing and water channels and canals, the
waterworks in what is today the US Southwest of canals... things which take
massed coordination of large numbers of people digging and building and
maintaining.... there is a huge underground water distribution system which
extends from mountains in Asia out into the deserts, which goes back to at
least the Persian Empire.  Destruction of the water distribution system in
Afghanistan during the war in which the USSR attempted to takeover the
country in pursuit of the goal of getting a warm water port (take over
Afghanistan and keep going south...) and the failure to rebuild it after the
USSR pulled out, created the anarchy and armed fanatical in effect fiefdoms
of fanatics which resulted in mass murder atrocities worldwide--New York
City and Washington DC were far from the only targets and mass murder sites
of Al Qaeda atrocities, others includes the railways of Spain, packed
nightclubs in countries with substantial Islamic populations (alcohol is
supposed to be forbidden in Islam, and facilities which serve it, were among
the Al Qaeda targets), embassies and a total lack of concern for "collateral
damage" to the citizens of the countries Al Qaeda was bombing embassies
in.... 9/11 was the most spectacular Al Qaeda operation, but it was one
operation set among dozens of mass murder attacks operations.

====

The waterworks in the southwestern USA failed to sustain the civilizations
there, because even when there is an extensive irrigation system, if the
water -sources- for the irrigation system dry up, the irrigation systems
fail, and the land won't sustain agriculture for people to survive on
anymore.

As for deep drilling, the aquifers which farmers -were- pumping from for
decades in the USA, have been drying up, and some have become unfit for use
even with water still in the aquifer, either due to becoming brinier and
brinier as water level dropped due to all pumping operations reducing the
amount of water and the mineral and salt concentration going up in the
remaining water, or due to salt water coming into the aquifer (a problem on
Cape Cod, which is surrounded by salt water,  and/or contamination (fracking
has been doing that lately, as one of the newer causes of contamination, as
opposed to agricultural chemicals and pesticides and herbicides from lawn
chemicals, and industrial wasted and illegal dumping of other than ag
chemicals...) .