[LMB] Data privacy on Beta and Barrayar, was Appropos of nothing

Harimad harimad2001 at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 13 17:52:33 BST 2011

KK> Kevin Kennedy <kevink45 at hotmail.com> wrote:
KK> Somebody'll come up with some sort of mail-order
KK> bride scam or worse.

JS> > From: Jeff Shultz <jeffshultz at gmail.com> wrote:
JS> Prostitution, human trafficking, bachelor villages....
JS> http://factsanddetails.com/china.php?itemid=1029&catid=4&subcatid=15

Knock-on effects in parts of the world that had nothing to do with creating the problem, because their women are being stolen.  Neglected or bullied children (by peers or family) because they're mixed-blood and never mind that it was daddy that took a foreign bride, likely in response to pressure from his parents.  Old or sick citizens neglected because the family used to take care of them, but doesn't work when one woman (stolen or otherwise) is responsible for all the ancestors at once. Or because the family didn't have a boy and the son-in-law's family prevents her from caring for her elders because that time should be spent on his family.
http://www.economist.com/node/21526329
http://www.economist.com/node/21526350

Also female suicide from ill-treatment (rarity didn't make women powerful, it made them valuable ... but still treated like dirt), isolation (to prevent them from being stolen again), and abandonment for not giving birth to girls.[1]  Families abandoning girl after girl - not just babies, but 2 and 4 and 6 year olds, as the parents have more children hoping for a boy.[2]

- Harimad

[1] I have read too many references to list, but The Economist has covered this well over the years.
[2] See, for example, "China Road: A Journey Into the Future of a Rising Power," by Rob Gifford, former BBC and NPR correspondent in PRC.