[LMB] Titles

A. Marina Fournier saffronrose at me.com
Tue Sep 13 21:41:54 BST 2011

On Sep 13, 2011, at 11:53 AM, Harimad wrote:
> But there's a single exception.  If the justice in question is a US Supreme Court justice, her title comes first *and* the family name comes immediately after: Justice O'Connor and Mr. O'Connor for Justice Sandra O'Connor and her (late) husband Mr. John O'Connor.

Hadn't known that. How cool!

Their names don't come first, but there are the couples Pres. & Dr. Bartlet and Mr. Joe & Dr. Jill Biden. At least his name wasn't Jack!

> Here's another: in the late 1800s in the US, if a woman were introduced as Mrs. HisFirst TheirLast, she was married or widowed.  If she were introduced as Mrs. HerFirst TheirLast, she was divorced.

I think that more recent usage has a widow as Mrs. HerFirst TheirLast, as well as the divorcée, unless of course, the divorcée choses to revert to BirthLastName, or yet another. One woman I worked with at Getty Oil took her maternal Grandmother's BirthLastName.

A. Marina Fournier
SaffronRose at me.com
The religious persecution of the ages has been done under what was claimed to be the command of God. I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do, because I notice that it always coincides with their own desires.

Susan B. Anthony (1820-1906) American reformer
Address to National American Woman Suffrage Association, Washington (23-28 Jan 1896)