[LMB] Devious Beta (was Re: Ezar (no talk about religion here, honest))

Thomas C Vinson t.vinson at sbcglobal.net
Tue Sep 13 23:14:24 BST 2011

It came to me about six this morning, just before I woke up.

Aral's grandmother was the primary agent in a deep-laid
Betan plot to control Barrayar and Cetaganda.  Through her
network of confidants she was able to persuade Ezar to
destroy a large part of the Barrayaran armed forces -- the
most belligerent ones -- were sent to their deaths.

Much later the Betan masterminds plotted how to make Betan
influence a permanent part of Barrayaran society.  Cordelia
was the obvious candidate, but they had to encourage her to
emigrate _while preserving plausible deniability_.
so...
"Now this Dr. Mehta: have you read her psyche profile? --
interesting to say the least.  If you turned her loose on me
_I_ would defect.  Give her free reign with Naismith and we
have nothing to worry about."

Unfortunately their chosen candidate didn't make it through
the Imperial Academy.  So they cleverly arranged for a
jumpship to be available when he showed up on-planet.  The
result of course was even better than their original plan.

Controlling Cetaganda is an exercise left to the hyperactive
little git.

Tom