[LMB] Cultural Change, starting as Erratum 6th Century shoul have been 16th in a previous post, was Effects of "Global Warming"

Paula Lieberman paal at gis.net
Wed Sep 14 00:33:15 BST 2011

That was 16th century.  Mea culpa.
Columbus' crews were disease vectors, bringing among other plagues,
smallpox.  The Americas residents had no immunity, and when entire
communities get sick and there is not one healthy to provide care for the
ill... the death rate as a percentage of the population was appalling.  It
only takes -one- infected person  to spread a plague from one place to
another, and vectors of mosquitoes, mice, rats, etc. also be carriers of
epidemics...

I forget the name of the Babylon 5 episode which had a pandemic strike,
wiping out nearly an entire sapient species....

Guns were one advantageous Europeans had, another was they they weren't as
susceptible to smallpox, and the diseases that they carried, severely
weakened and disrupted the native American civilizations' abilities to
resist European colonization and encroachment.

(There were also local factors are work in various places, the Aztecs were
not beloved by their neighbors, the other cultures regarded the devils they
knew, the Aztecs, as worse evils than the Spanish were likely to be...)