[LMB] Effects of "Global Warming"

Thomas C Vinson t.vinson at sbcglobal.net
Wed Sep 14 00:48:46 BST 2011

Paula Lieberman wrote:
>I read something failry recently which claimed that the
>minor Ice Age in the [1]6th century was due to human
>activity--the massive die-off of residents in the Americas
>causing a changing in the climate, with trees growing up
>where the residents had previously previously farmed, or
>done burnings that kept land as grasslands full of migratory
>grass-eating herd animals.

Tim Flannery, _The Future Eaters_

[Some] current best guesses put the death toll for the first
century after Iberian colonization at about 90 per cent.
These are primarily deaths from our old friends and companions--
measles, smallpox, etc.*

(This of course does not account for cooling during the 15th
century, but it could well have exacerbated things.)

Tom

[*] DON'T get me started on parents (or politicians) who refuse
to vaccinate their kids against measles.