[LMB] Ezar - - the hand he was dealt

phoenix at ugcs.caltech.edu phoenix at ugcs.caltech.edu
Wed Sep 14 01:18:06 BST 2011

On Tue, Sep 13, 2011 at 05:02:45PM -0700, Daniel R. Reitman wrote:
> Tel <teldreaming at gmail.com> wrote:

> > 3) Don't go extra fascist after Yuri's reign in the first place...
> > (this goes back to 'dealing your own hand'). He chose his path - it
> > wasn't sustainable, secure, and benign. His aim was to give his
> > grandson all the power he had, without any evidence of Gregor's adult
> > character.
>
> I think we now have reached the "Have at thee, windmill!" stage.

Only if we take as given that Ezar is fundamentally a selfish autocrat
who didn't want to give up any power for himself or his grandson.  In
terms of Ezar making actual choices, Tel is totally right.  Having come
into power after a rebellion against a mad Emperor, he could have taken
steps to see that future mad Emperors had less potential to wreck
everythhing.  It's not like Barrayar lacks for democratic models, and
there was probably some goodwill to Beta from the Xav anti-Ceta
smuggling days.  We don't have to envision instant Beta-ification, just
some of the reforms that real monarchies do and have done.  Later, he
could have let Aral be Regent as he saw fit for Barrayar, rather than
extracting an oath to pass full power on to Gregor, unencumbered by
constitutionalism.

But he didn't.

-xx- Damien X-)