[LMB] Devious Beta (was Re: Ezar (no talk about religion here, honest))

Claire Nollet cnollet at gmail.com
Wed Sep 14 03:02:45 BST 2011

I think you're giving Beta an awful lot of credit for wily political
subterfuge.

They're great scientists, but I'm not so sure their politicians/secret
service would have the devious minds necessary to create a multigenerational
plot to mold the Barryaran Imperium to their liking.  And could that secret
have been kept for multiple generations?  I just don't see their government
having that level of efficiency.

The only reason Ezar's secret was kept was because only Aral, Negri, Ezar
and Cordelia knew about it, and Negri and Ezar and Aral are all dead, and
Cordelia has her own reasons for keeping the secret.

But a multigenerational Betan plot to mold the Barryaran Imperium would
require lots of Betans to enact the plot.  I think it would have come to
light before this.

I do think that Aral's grandmother was probably taken aside and urged, in
the cause of Betan patriotism and democracy, to try to get her husband to be
as progressive as she could make him.  She was probably also urged to pass
on intelligence on high level Barryaran society (which was all intercepted
by ImpSec, I have no doubt).

But I think she genuinely fell in love with a dashing, exotic,
anachronistic aristocratic diplomat, and was seduced by the idea of having a
passel of unlicensed children and living on a world with falling water, much
the way Cordelia was.