[LMB] Child of the library

Dusty Jackson dustyjackson at gmail.com
Wed Sep 14 20:37:06 BST 2011

On Sep 13, 2011, at 2:53 PM, Peter Granzeau wrote:
> Life seems to have gotten scarier since I was a kid (in the 40s).  I and
my friends played outside all the time.

It's not just you.
I work in a library in a run-down but not-quite-slum suburb, with a lot of
latch-key kids who really have nowhere else to go in the afternoons.

We used to battle to keep a few of the creepy  old men from hanging around
in the children's room, but there's not much a 5' librarian can do with a 6'
man who refuses to budge.  We finally, after much nagging and one last nasty
incident (unrelated to the children's section), got a full-time security
guard in our library, whose job is just to sit and watch.  Those men who
absolutely *had* to read the newspaper in the children's room suddenly
stopped coming in.

Actually, it's tragic that libraries these days even need security guards at
all.  Ten years ago, I wouldn't have believed it.  The times, they are
a-changin'.