[LMB] Child of the library

Meg Justus mmegaera at nwlink.com
Wed Sep 14 21:52:05 BST 2011

Dusty:
> Actually, it's tragic that libraries these days even need security guards
> at
> all.  Ten years ago, I wouldn't have believed it.  The times, they are
> a-changin'.

Some libraries have had security guards for much longer than ten years.  It
depends on where said library is in relation to other things -- I used to
work in a library across the street from a homeless shelter (those security
guards were mostly in place to keep folks from using the building in ways it
wasn't intended to be used, like bathing in the bathroom sinks), and in
another less than five miles from the state mental hospital.

Safety is an illusion in most public buildings to begin with.

Megaera