[LMB] Bringing it back to LMB [Was:OT: verging on

Mitch Miller mitchmiller at entertainmenttax.com
Wed Sep 14 22:28:03 BST 2011

From: Harimad <harimad2001 at yahoo.com>

1. Why do you perceive "God says" as any clearer than "Grandma says" or "society says"?  Why do you believe that all people are evil?  To my Anglican-educated and religiously-read mind, that is a strongly Christian viewpoint.  It's not even true in all Christian religions - Quakers believe differently.  Jews don't think people are evil either.  Their reason for "being good" is a contract with god; there's no heaven or hell in Judaism.

2. There are many ethical traditions that do not involve deities.  Start your research with Confucianism.  Then move on to Buddhism.  Then explore Ethical Humanism, usually researched in conjunction with the Enlightenment.  Now get thee to the economics section of the library and look into utilitarianism; when you've done that tell me why you think no one will believe in the win-win or in moderation.

Also?  You *really* need to work on your phraseology.  That was as insulting a formation of this question as I've ever seen, and I've seen it a lot.  Your second attempt was much better.

- Harimad

I asked some questions about atheism, about which I know little and wished to know more, and I got some answers, so I am well satisfied.   I have no interest in getting into comparing religions, which is as bootless a discussion as I can imagine.

And, as I've posted before, people on this list get offended way too easily.   If somebody asks me a question, I try to answer it.  If they're just trying to get a rise out of me, that will be obvious soon enough.  If not, they deserve an answer, even, maybe especially, if their question arises out of ignorance.

Mitch Miller