[LMB] OT: The bodily fluids of a blonde barista

A. Marina Fournier saffronrose at me.com
Thu Sep 15 05:19:45 BST 2011

On Sep 14, 2011, at 7:21 PM, Claire Nollet wrote:
> "I don't want to get anyone into trouble, but a refresher course to your
> folks making drinks: Licking 4 fingers on your right hand and 3 on your left
> while making someone's hot chocolate, then not washing your hands when you
> go to make the next customer's beverage is very ... offputting.

You were too polite, too shocked, to say anything to the barista, or to have asked for the shift manager, at the time.

There is a big difference between your experience, and that of most tea drinkers in the States, who prefer that the teabag go in the cup before boiling water does. There are other woes, but the response I've had has been: we were told not to put our fingers on people's teabags.

Em, how do you get the wrapped bag to the customer? What about the cup--is that free of human touch? It's not as if I asked to have them stir my tea with a finger!

When I've tried, I fail about 50% in getting the next teapot with the teabag in it. Getting hotter water, or a larger quantity of it--even more fail.

I'm sorry you had that experience. I wonder what the management/owners will do in recompense to you, and in reiterating food safety rules to the staff.

A. Marina Fournier
SaffronRose at me.com
If you cannot get rid of the family skeleton, you may as well make it dance.

George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950) British playwright and critic              (Attributed)