[LMB] Ezar - - the hand he was dealt

Tel teldreaming at gmail.com
Fri Sep 16 09:25:04 BST 2011

On Thu, Sep 15, 2011 at 7:17 PM,  <phoenix at ugcs.caltech.edu> wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 15, 2011 at 03:54:33PM -0700, Tel wrote:
>
>> >Later, he
>> > could have let Aral be Regent as he saw fit for Barrayar, rather than
>> > extracting an oath to pass full power on to Gregor, unencumbered by
>> > constitutionalism.
>> >
>> Mmm, of course. But Aral's natural inclinations aren't constitutional
>> anyway, so I'm not sure that changed much.
>
> Natural a la a Betan, maybe not.  But this is the man who joked about
> making everyone Vor,

yet rolled back Ezar-era restraints on the power of the Counts and
thus ran a more Vorish government than previously.

> and less jokingly is really into the concept of
> illegal orders.  Constitutionalism is just "there are illegal orders"
> all the way up. :)  At least the bill of rights side of constitutions,
> and I don't think you can enforce those without some degree of
> constitutional procedure as well.

His illegal orders thing mostly seems to be a specific fussiness about
rape/violence against women and children rather than concern about the
more procedural issues more commonly seen in bills of rights.

-Tel