[LMB] Ezar - - the hand he was dealt

Pat Mathews mathews55 at msn.com
Fri Sep 16 12:51:42 BST 2011

I do have to say, comparing England and France, and (ugh) Russia at the same stages of development, that English gradualism seems to have worked best by a long shot.

There's a parallel situation in Eric Flint's Grantsville series (1632 -- on). In the first book, Mike Stearns (leader of the time travelers) wants to turn the Germany of the 30 Years War into the sort of democracy we had at the height of the 20th Century. As things wear on, he ends up with such victories as getting cures for infectious diseases out there, backing the most enlightened monarch on the scene, and similar gradual improvements.

Mike, I might add, was no history major when he started, although he's advised by the local high school history teacher - an old former firebrand in her own right.

http://idiotgrrl.livejournal.com/