[LMB] OT: All discussions re religion vs. atheism

Bear Master bearmaster0 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 16 18:28:00 BST 2011

On Mon, Sep 12, 2011 at 3:50 PM, Howard Brazee <howard at brazee.net> wrote:

> On Sep 12, 2011, at 4:21 PM, Bert Ricci wrote:
>

> > One thing I have noticed in this thread, no one has mentioned
> agnosticism.  Does anyone accept "I just don't know"?  That is another
> belief that usually includes "Do as you would be done by".  I'm not taking
> any side in these arguments, but it seems to me all of you agree with that
> saying, which includes caring about everything that might affect people.
> >
> > Carol Gray-Ricci
>
> That is a political word designed to not offend people.

 And that is as offensive as any other way of calling someone a liar.

While I do not identify as an agnostic, I understand there is "soft"
agnosticism, saying that one doesn't know, and "hard" agnosticism, saying
that it can never be known.  As I don't believe I've ever met two people who
meant the same thing when they spoke of "god," and defining something is the
first step to seeing if it exist or not, there may be something to that.