[LMB] Wide Green World tidbit

Aruvqan Myers aruvqan at gmail.com
Fri Sep 16 18:35:07 BST 2011

On Fri, Sep 16, 2011 at 8:34 AM, Katherine Collett <kcollett at hamilton.edu>wrote:

> On Sep 15, 2011, at 8:24 AM, Aruvqan Myers wrote:
>
> > I was just watching Return To Oz on cable just now, and I noticed that
> > 'Dorothy' did the little Fawn knee bob to people =) Very cute!
> >
> > It was particularly funny because I am also just finishing a reread of
> the
> > WGW series =)
>
> I knew the knee bob was familiar from somewhere!  I'm quite fond of Return
> to Oz.  I was struck the first time I saw it with how much Fairuza Balk
> looks like a much younger Judy Garland.  It sticks much closer to the
> details in Baum's texts than the musical does (and the newer technology
> doesn't hurt).
>
> Katherine
>
> You also find the knee bob in pre WW2 british movies that show servants,
typically set in Victorian times. Typically by the maids-of-all-work. Well,
pretty much any period piece set between about 1700 and 1900.

I had never seen that movie before. I love the way that Tik-tok looked just
like the illustrations from the book, as did the wheelmen [well maybe not
the color, but my book only had B&W illustrations. It would have been nice
to do more of the books. The Tinman series on Syfy sucked.