[LMB] Ezar - - the hand he was dealt

Tel teldreaming at gmail.com
Sat Sep 17 06:49:15 BST 2011

On Fri, Sep 16, 2011 at 6:39 AM, Greg Hennessy <greg.hennessy at cox.net> wrote:
>> > Natural a la a Betan, maybe not.  But this is the man who joked about
>> > making everyone Vor,
>>
>> yet rolled back Ezar-era restraints on the power of the Counts and
>> thus ran a more Vorish government than previously.
>
> What Ezar-era restraints did he remove? Aral was clear that the Vor
> had too small a talent pool, and I would say he ended up with a less
> Vorish government than previously.

Well, let's look at the quote in full..

   "The Vor have simply too small a pool of talent. Make
   the government more like the military at its best, with
   ability promoted regardless of background."

ok, fine...

   Emperor Ezar tried to do something like that, by
   strengthening the Ministries at the expense of the
   Counts,

ok, fine...

   but it swung too far. The Counts are eviscerated and
   the Ministries are corrupt. There must be some way
   to strike a balance."

Note that impressive logical leap at the end, where Aral determines
that the -real- problem is that the less Vorish parts of government
have accumulated too much power at the expense of the poor eviscerated
hereditary aristocrats? ;)

Too, taking down Political Education, regardless of the merits, does
reduce prole power by a lot. Aral named the most powerful men in
Ezar's government as Negri and Grishnov: with them down and Vortala in
- again, more Vorish.

-Tel