[LMB] Ezar - - the hand he was dealt

Tel teldreaming at gmail.com
Sun Sep 18 00:58:17 BST 2011

On Sat, Sep 17, 2011 at 10:51 AM,  <phoenix at ugcs.caltech.edu> wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 17, 2011 at 10:53:01AM -0400, Greg Hennessy wrote:

>> I again ask, since your reply did not answer my question, what
>> Ezar era restriaints on the power of the Counts did he remove?
>
> I think the answer is that Lois doesn't go into enough detail for us to
> know, but Tel's made a clear case that Aral thought the Counts had been
> excessively restrained somehow.

That may be overstating my position slightly.

The restraints that I'm talking about are the restraints that (for
instance) prevent anyone from voting no at Aral's confirmation. Formal
dissent is frigging dangerous on Ezar's Barrayar.

Don't get me wrong, this is not a good thing. It does need to be
addressed. Aral addresses it by rolling back power towards the Counts
(compare later Council scenes to that first one). But it should be
noted that this is not the only thing he could have done. particularly
following Vordarian's Pretendership, and it both increases the power
of the aristocracy at the expense of all other factions and fossilizes
the government's general lack of popular participation. He locks
himself into a system where nothing important can happen unless the
feudal lords say it can... which locks out everyone else.

-Tel