[LMB] Medieval parliaments

phoenix at ugcs.caltech.edu phoenix at ugcs.caltech.edu
Sun Sep 18 20:16:20 BST 2011

On Sun, Sep 18, 2011 at 09:24:35AM -0600, Pat Mathews wrote:

> May I pass this onto the Stirling list? Steve's Emberverse is

Sure.

> essentially post-toastie-medieval, and the one microculture that even
> talked about having a House of Commons let it go when the
> 20th-Century-born Founder died. The idea seems to be that the two are
> incompatible and you've just proved they are not.

*headdesk*

Athens!  Rome!

Heck, the early USA was a geographically large pre-telegraph
mostly-agrarian democratic society!  Not that far technologically from
"medieval".

I can see not knowing the Estates-General were that elected -- I had no
idea until today -- or knowing about its Spanish and Swedish analogues
(ditto) or thinking about how old Parliament is.  But the above?

-xx- Damien X-)