[LMB] Medieval parliaments

phoenix at ugcs.caltech.edu phoenix at ugcs.caltech.edu
Sun Sep 18 23:15:02 BST 2011

On Sun, Sep 18, 2011 at 01:50:18PM -0600, Pat Mathews wrote:

> Thank you. I hope it sparks a lot of discussion and even some fanfic.

Then there's my rants about how there's a reason we call the Dark Ages
that, and how medieval feudalism is not the normal state of the past
but, y'know, a dark age *after* the centralized bureaucratic empires of
the Romans, Persians, Babylonians, Egyptians, plus not just the Chinese
but the Aztecs, Incas...

Not that it's not a common response to total social breakdown, because
it is, but key word there: breakdown.  (Also a response to gradual
social breakdown, like de-monetization.)

And of course history gives us little model for what happens to a 100%
literate population with deep democratic traditions under deep stress.
Emberverse survivors turning to Big Men doesn't seem impossible; having
that be a uniform response seems unrealistically simplistic.

Has there been recent discussion of this, or are you droping in a
conversation bomb?  I tried rejoining the list to look at the archives
but apparently I have to be approved.

-xx- Damien X-)