[LMB] OT: Emberverse

phoenix at ugcs.caltech.edu phoenix at ugcs.caltech.edu
Mon Sep 19 16:26:04 BST 2011

On Sun, Sep 18, 2011 at 09:24:35AM -0600, Pat Mathews wrote:

> May I pass this onto the Stirling list? Steve's Emberverse is
> essentially post-toastie-medieval, and the one microculture that even
> talked about having a House of Commons let it go when the
> 20th-Century-born Founder died. The idea seems to be that the two are
> incompatible and you've just proved they are not.

So, out of morbid curiosity, what are we talking about here?  One
large state-sized remnant on camera that didn't stay democratic?  Lots
of small city-states which are known to all to not be democratic?  Or?
And where are these, ex-USA?

AFAICT it's the small level where democracy naturally survives. There
are probably millions of villages in otherwise despotic regimes across
Asia where the headman has influence only by popular assent.  Medieval
European towns were generally not autocratic, though suffrage probably
wasn't universal, and you've got republics in Venice, Netherlands,
Novgorod, Genoa...  plus the older Rome, Athens, other Greek
city-states, maybe Carthage...  Bigger levels, well, all those elective
Estates-General surprised me, and I'm not sure they generalize away from
western Europe.  But they were there.

-xx- Damien X-)