[LMB] 2014 NASFIC and weather

Bert Ricci razenna at earthlink.net
Mon Sep 19 17:17:49 BST 2011

Carol Gray-Ricci, still using Bert's computer.

I grew up in California's Central Valley, where summer temperatures are usually in the 90's and over 100 is not unusual.  We still remember what the Spanish brought with them from the warmer sections of Spain when they first settled in California. (Note all times are rough estimates.)

   1)  Get up early, often at or before dawn.

   2)  Have breakfast, do all outside morning chores before 10:00 or 11:00 AM

   3)  Do indoor morning chores and have lunch.(In the days of no A/C and wood stoves for cooking, lunch would be cold.)

   4)  Have a siesta (nap or rest) from 2:00 PM to 5:00 PM.  (At a con, where no one is getting much sleep, this can be indoor
       activities in airconditioned meeting rooms.)

   5)  Get up and go outside, where it has now cooled down.  If it hasn't cooled enough, go back inside for an hour or so.

   6)  Have a late dinner, and stay up, and outside if you wish, until late at night,

   7)  Go to bed in time to get 5 hours sleep.

   8)  If you don't have A/C, open windows wide at sunset, leave open until dawn, and then close them.  Even if you do have A/C, draw
       curtains or shades on any windows that face the sun (these will move around the house as the day progreses).  If you do
       have A/C, you still want to keep the pattern of outdoors only when necessary between 10:00 AM and 5:00 PM.

Instead of complaining because the weather doesn't fit your patterns, reshape your patterns to fit the weather.  It is known as adaptation, which (to revert to another topic) we may all have to do if climate change becomes severe.  (One of the interesting adaptations when I was growing up was kitchens with wood stoves for cooking in winter, when they helped heat the house, and electric stoves for summer, when they did not add so much heat.)

(If you wonder how I know so much about pre-airconditioned California, I'm 77, and lived through the last part of it.)

    Carol A. Gray-Ricci