[LMB] Why we still need paper books

Bert Ricci razenna at earthlink.net
Mon Sep 19 17:59:38 BST 2011

Carol Gray-Ricci, using Bert's computer again.

Having been very impressed by the original blog, and the comments on both it and this list, when I went to see Bert, (who is currently in a care center to get over a very severe infection in his artificial knee) we discussed this topic.  I commented that I had always thought of us as middle-middle class, but this topic made me realize how rich we are.  We have a desktop computer, and I'll have a wireless laptop if we can ever get it going, and a Kindle each.  We buy books we want when they come out in hardbound, and often get them as e-books as well.  Then when the mass market edition comes out, we buy that for Bert to carry with him in his (small) backpack when he has archived them on his Kindle.  Also, the Kindle is much easier (and cheaper) than searching "used and rare" bookstores for out of print books.  We are rich, indeed.

Bert commented that many people say the middle class is disappearing, and I'm beginning to think they are right.

    Carol A. Gray-Ricci