[LMB] OT: 2014 Nasfic

Paula Lieberman paal at gis.net
Mon Sep 19 18:25:52 BST 2011

Different people have different climate/weather preferences--my aunt thinks
Cape Cod is too warm, one Thanksgiving Day dinner at her elder daughter's
house, it was a freezing cold windy snowy day--and every time someone opened
the door, my (elderly) aunt revelled in the blast of cold air entering....
Then then are the  folks who when the temperature drops down below 65F put
on arctic gear to try to stay warm....

Meanwhile, climate change is happening, the places that get hot and dry, are
getting hotter and drier, and places which aren;t used to weather extremes,
are finding themselves getting flooded out where they've never had such
floods (e.g., Vermont a couple weeks ago) or having worse droughts than
they're used to with higher temperatures... (the entire state of Texas, and
the temperatures have been soaring above the usual hot dry Texas summer
heat...)   I heard about "the anvil of God" in 1978 at the Worldcon, which I
was a disembodied voice at a party at for two or three hours, over the
Missile Warning Hotline patched through from Cheyenne Mountain to Luke Air
Force Base through a commercial line to the hotel...