[LMB] Child of the library

Eric Oppen technomad at intergate.com
Mon Sep 19 18:32:43 BST 2011

Quoting Howard Brazee <howard at brazee.net>:

> On Sep 19, 2011, at 10:25 AM, Rachel wrote:
>
>> Kevin writes: "And an adult quiet room in one corner, Squishy chairs,
>> a few tables,  a gas fireplace(turned off) bevelled glass windows, all
>> very nice.Too bad there's really no way to _make_ the creepy guys sit
>> in there, where they can't even see the kids."
>>
>> Policing behaviour is one thing, policing thoughts is another. If said
>> creepy guy is at a reasonable distance and not interacting with the
>> children, I wouldn't really be concerned.
>

> There are a lot of creepy-looking people who are no danger at all to kids.
>
> And there are "normal" appearing people who are.

One thing I really, _really,_ _REALLY_ wish would _die down_ is the
endless, ongoing hysteria about 98%-imaginary child molesters,
abductors and suchlike.  Ever since the media found they could sell
papers by scaring parents senseless, they've been beating the drum
about this.

During the witch-hunt against day-care centers, they were solemnly
accepting testimony that would have been laughed out of court during
the Salem witch trials...and innocent people went to prison for decades.