[LMB] 2014 NASFIC and weather

Agnes Charrel-Berthillier agnes at charrel.net
Mon Sep 19 18:36:45 BST 2011

On 9/19/11 9:17 AM, Bert Ricci wrote:

> Instead of complaining because the weather doesn't fit your patterns,
> reshape your patterns to fit the weather.  It is known as adaptation,
> which (to revert to another topic) we may all have to do if climate
> change becomes severe.

Amen!

As a Mediterranean transplant to California, the only reason why AC
feels like a "vital" need around here is because people are trying to
live their lives according to patterns appropriate for England.

And houses are all too often built as if for Northern European climates.
A house appropriate for this place would be well insulated (thick stone
or adobe instead of wood, clay tiles rather than shingles, and if that
makes you nervous in earthquake country there *are* modern materials
that are lighter and provide insulation that is if not as good at least
better than the plywood and chicken wire too commonly found around
here), and have wooden shutters on all windows that actually close
<eyeroll>. The lack of knowledge about hot weather construction around
here is actually frightening: in an especially strong WTF? moment I read
a pamphlet while visiting one of the missions explaining that they were
built out of adobe because the Spanish didn't have good access to proper
lumber!?!

On a related note I also find the whole "always slather your kids with
sunscreen" hysteria deeply annoying. In my childhood kids played in
thoroughly shaded school yards (ours had centuries old plane trees)
between 10am and 4pm. The only people out in the sun between 12-4pm...
well, mad dog and Englishmen (or rather Parisians and other Northern
tourists), pretty much.

Agnes