[LMB] 2014 NASFIC and weather

alayne at twobikes.ottawa.on.ca alayne at twobikes.ottawa.on.ca
Mon Sep 19 19:28:47 BST 2011

One other suggestion: minimize cooking indoors. In the summer, we don't
run the oven unless the temperature's lower than normal, and even then we
only do it late at night (for a cake etc.). We use the top of the stove
for cooking if necessary, plus the microwave, and especially the gas BBQ
outdoors. And eat a lot of cold meals (salads etc.) Why add heat to the
house?

In past days, this was accomplished by having a summer kitchen well away
from the house.

We only have one window airconditioner in an upstairs window, and only run
it when it's very hot and the heat starts interfering with life and
sleeping. We use a system of fans to bring the cold air downstairs.

Other days we follow Carol's advice, and cool down the house each night by
opening windows (and sometimes doors).

When I grew up on the Prairies, it got very hot in the summer and we
didn't have A/C, and I don't remember missing it extraordinarily. OTOH, we
sometimes did move everyone to sleeping downstairs in the extreme heat.

Alayne

--
Alayne McGregor
alayne at twobikes.ottawa.on.ca

"To fear is one thing. To let fear grab you by the tail and swing you around
is another." - Katherine Paterson, Jacob I Have Loved