[LMB] Molester Panic (Was: Child of the Library)

H. Torrance Griffin htgriffin at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 19 19:55:12 BST 2011

From: Eric Oppen <technomad at intergate.com>

Quoting Howard Brazee <howard at brazee.net>:

> On Sep 19, 2011, at 10:25 AM, Rachel wrote:
>
>> Kevin writes: "And an adult quiet room in one corner, Squishy chairs,
>> a few tables,  a gas fireplace(turned off) bevelled glass windows, all
>> very nice.Too bad there's really no way to _make_ the creepy guys sit
>> in there, where they can't even see the kids."
>>
>> Policing behaviour is one thing, policing thoughts is another. If said
>> creepy guy is at a reasonable distance and not interacting with the
>> children, I wouldn't really be concerned.
>

> There are a lot of creepy-looking people who are no danger at all to kids.
>
> And there are "normal" appearing people who are.

HTG: True.  All so very true.

One thing I really, _really,_ _REALLY_ wish would _die down_ is the
endless, ongoing hysteria about 98%-imaginary child molesters,
abductors and suchlike.  Ever since the media found they could sell
papers by scaring parents senseless, they've been beating the drum
about this.

During the witch-hunt against day-care centers, they were solemnly
accepting testimony that would have been laughed out of court during
the Salem witch trials...and innocent people went to prison for decades.

HTG: Child molestation is both real and damaging, but the panic we see because of it is no less so.  There are jurisdictions where an illustrated adaptation of The Sharing Knife could quite possibly get someone prosecuted....