[LMB] AKICOT:L getting files off an old computer

fred smith fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Mon Sep 19 19:08:30 BST 2011

On Mon, Sep 19, 2011 at 09:54:42AM -0600, Howard Brazee wrote:

> >> There are USB enclosures too, which are slower, but which work with any new computer.
> >
> > A bit late here, and external HD enclosures are the way to go if you can get them to work--amazingly useful devices--but in case your old drive is not IDE (SCSI or something else rare these days) and your 486 doesn't have USB (not common until '97) and nothing else works...a null-modem cable between your old system and new (if the new has the port!) might be a final go-between if nothing else works.  (Null-modem will be slow, but better than nothing else).
> >
> > Good luck,
>
> They work.   But getting ahold of a network card and a cat-5 cable is  almost as easy.

very easy. I have a half-dozen 10/100 Mbps PCI network cards lying around
here unused. available to any one who needs one for the cost of shipping.

Question is, does that machine have PCI slots? I used to have an even
larger pile of ISA slot 10Mbps cards (mostly 3com 3C509B-TPO cards) but
they went to recycle earlier this year.

    community.
 --Roger Ebert, December, 1996