[LMB] Lois-Bujold Digest, Vol 76, Issue 65

H. Torrance Griffin htgriffin at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 19 20:17:12 BST 2011

From: Kevin Kennedy <kevink45 at hotmail.com>

I'm 54 and I grew up in Indianapolis without a/c too. I think by the time I was noticing such things, having a/c installed in older houses was dependent on income level + a dose of what one wanted to spend money on. The house my parents bought in an upscale neighborhood(Meridian-Kessler) didn't get a/c til almost 1980. But it's brick, had 2 HUGE oak trees on the west for afternoon shade, and a whole house fan. As long as the nighttime temp was cooler than the day, that fan helped keep the house cool  most of the summer. August and early September were still a pain.

HTG: I suppose I am a bit of a 'whippersnapper' at age 37, however I grew up in L.A. and was poor enough to recall when the large electric fan was the best we could do in terms of capital outlay (and sprawling on linoleum floors during the summer made me quite happy).