[LMB] OT: Confession re: my list of how to live in a hot climate

Bert Ricci razenna at earthlink.net
Mon Sep 19 20:32:49 BST 2011

I must admit I live in San Francisco, and have done so since I was 30.  This is not because of the climate, I really get tired of having to wear what I still consider winter clothes during the summer, but because when the fog rolls in it washes all the pollen I'm alergic to out of the air (and live far enough from downtown not to be in the bad air area.)

Comment on keeping office buildings 68 F or below - in Sacramento, they were known as "sweater offices".  Women kept a sweater in the office to wear when the summer air conditioning kicked in, then hung them on the back of their chairs when they were ready to leave.

A question to those who grew up at the beginning of air conditioning.  Remember "swamp coolers", which worked by blowing the outside air through a wet pad?  They exchanged a small part of the heat for humidity, and sometimes made the home more uncomfortable than no air conditioning did.

    Carol Gray-Ricci