[LMB] AKICOT:L getting files off an old computer

Ed Burkhead ed at edburkhead.com
Tue Sep 20 03:25:24 BST 2011

Ed Burkhead
http://edburkhead.com/Ercoupe/index.htm
ed -at- edbur???khead (dot) com        (You can fix it up, as needed)

Please remember - 58,000 people normally worked in the World Trade Center

The attack on the World Trade Center on 9/11 was not simply
the murder of 3,000 Americans, it was the attempt to murder 58,000 people.

On Mon, Sep 19, 2011 at 09:54:42AM -0600, Howard Brazee wrote:
> > They work.   But getting ahold of a network card and a cat-5 cable is
almost as
> easy.

Fred Smith responded:
> very easy. I have a half-dozen 10/100 Mbps PCI network cards lying around
here
> unused. available to any one who needs one for the cost of shipping.
>
> Question is, does that machine have PCI slots? I used to have an even
larger pile of
> ISA slot 10Mbps cards (mostly 3com 3C509B-TPO cards) but they went to
recycle
> earlier this year.

Just where do you guys think you're going to find Ethernet card drivers for
a 1993 Windows 3.1 machine and operating system?

I'd put my effort into the hard drive as that standard has been the most
stable, I think.  The suggestions in other messages have been good ones.

I might just take the cover off my old Backpack (late 1980s parallel port
hard drive) and see if the drive inside is standard enough to hook it up.
There may be a megabyte or two of stuff I'd like to recover.  Current
systems certainly won't run the needed old, old old drivers!  (Oh, for the
days of 180kb disks! (and smaller)!)

Ed