[LMB] OT: 2014 Nasfic

Richard Macdonald don_iain at verizon.net
Tue Sep 20 09:29:28 BST 2011

From: Robert Woodward
Sent: Tuesday, September 20, 2011 12:45 AM
To: Discussion of the works of Lois McMaster Bujold.
Subject: Re: [LMB] OT: 2014 Nasfic

>On Sep 19, 2011, at 10:25 AM, Paula Lieberman wrote:

>> Different people have different climate/weather preferences--my aunt
>> thinks Cape Cod is too warm,
>> one Thanksgiving Day dinner at her elder daughter's house, it was a
>> freezing cold windy snowy day
>>--and every time someone opened the door, my (elderly) aunt revelled in
>>the blast of cold air entering
>>.... Then then are the  folks who when the temperature drops down below
>>65F put on arctic gear to try to stay warm....
>>
>> Meanwhile, climate change is happening, the places that get hot and dry,
>> are getting hotter and drier,
>> and places which aren;t used to weather extremes, are finding themselves
>> getting flooded out where
>> they've never had such floods (e.g., Vermont a couple weeks ago)
>
> Hurricanes that reached New England and dumped a lot of rain have occurred
> in the past. They haven't
> been common, but see
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1938_New_England_hurricane#Background>.
> Hurricane Irene's storm path resembles that of the 1938 hurricane. BTW,
> Hurricane Hazel in 1954 went
> further west and stalled over Toronto, where it dumped close to 8" of rain
> on already saturated soil.

For those of us that live in Hurricane country (straddles by Charlie,
Francis and Jeanne a few years ago)
Hurricanes often get that far north, just over the open ocean. See how often
Nova Scotia gets
side swiped by Hurricanes as they pass. This last one was a real wet one and
not a windy as some
that have land fallen that far up.

This last decade has almost equaled the peaks of 1881-1891 (8,9,4,1,0=22/5)
and 1911-1920 (10,4,4,3,0=21/7),
but not quite to 1941-1950 (8,6,9,1,0=24/10) for land falling US hurricanes.
decadal average since 1850 is 17.7 total with 6 major (III+).
--
Richard A. Macdonald, CPA/EA
SSG(Ret), USA, ADA, 16P34