[LMB] OT: Kids ...

quietann quietann at gmail.com
Tue Sep 20 13:57:04 BST 2011

On Tue, Sep 20, 2011 at 12:01 AM, Jeff Shultz <jeffshultz at gmail.com> wrote:
> I don't know if undergrads can run it, but Oregon State has a reactor too.
> Reed College? In Portland? That's.... surprising. Very surprising the local
> anti-all's haven't tried to take it out.

I am a Reed alumna, and spent part of one summer job, in 1984, I
believe, painting pipes in the reactor lab.  (I did not have training
to do anything with the reactor itself, but went through a basic
reactor safety course.)

The reactor is small (enough power to run a 40 watt bulb I think) but
has been a very useful tool for various students' thesis projects over
the years.

I am not up on more recent history, but as far as I know, no one in
the neighborhood has ever tried to get the reactor shut down.  That
said, I think the NRC did get concerned some years ago about safety
protocols, probably around the same time that numerous safety lapses
were discovered in the chemistry department, where the reactor was
housed at the time.  (I was a chem major for 2 1/2 years and let us
just say that lab supervision was.... lax.)  Reed students, for all
that they tend be liberal and include any number of anti-nuclear
folks, are proud of their little reactor. People in the neighborhood
tend either to be Reed-affiliated, or kind of working class and likely
to be concerned about Reed things other than the reactor.  The college
has a pretty strong tradition of keeping its business on campus.

Ann

quietann at gmail.com

aka "The Accidental Jewess"