[LMB] why we still need paper books

Becca becca_price at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 20 15:30:48 BST 2011

We live half way between Ann Arbor and Brighton in SE Michigan - two metropolitan areas. Our little town has broadband... up to about a mile from our house. We live far enough out in the country that it's not worth the while of the cable companies to wire us. The telephone company isn't interested in giving us DSL - we tried it, but we're just far enough from the junction boxes that every time the wind changed direction, we'd lose our connection. What we have is satellite, but it's metered, and we regularly go beyond our 24-hour allottment when I download my weekly podcasts. My husband has to download my audiobooks at his office, and bring them to me on a memory stick.

There is no indication that this situation will change. Not sooner, not later.

So every time I hear about companies moving things totally to the Cloud, I shudder. Apple, I hate you.

-becca

There are nine and sixty ways of constructing tribal lays
And every single one of them is right!
--Rudyard Kipling