[LMB] why we still need paper books

Pat Mathews mathews55 at msn.com
Tue Sep 20 16:48:15 BST 2011

One thought. You said "barring economic collapse or depression." That's what's going on right now, in slow motion. Don't believe the official pronouncements about "the recession was over in 2009" - their measuring stick, while useful 40 years ago, is now measuring a highly skewed "economic growth" taking place in one particular sector - executive pay. Poverty on the street level is growing, and access to books will become more and more important as the economic crisis wears on.

And of course, there is always the matter of incompatible formats. I have 78 books on my clunky old Sony Reader, almost all of them DRM'd since Sony hooked up with Adobe Reader. There is very little way to get them on my Kindle from there, even through "My ebooks" on my desktop. My financial program is in the same shape.

So, no, we'd be fools to write off print too soon, and this is far too soon in my estimation.

http://idiotgrrl.livejournal.com/