[LMB] why we still need paper books

Harimad harimad2001 at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 20 17:35:05 BST 2011

PM> --- On Wed, 9/21/11, Pat Mathews <mathews55 at msn.com> wrote:
PM> And of course, there is always the matter of incompatible
PM> formats. I have 78 books on my clunky old Sony Reader,
PM> almost all of them DRM'd since Sony hooked up with Adobe
PM> Reader. There is very little way to get them on my Kindle
PM> from there, even through "My ebooks" on my desktop. My
PM> financial program is in the same shape. [...] So, no, we'd
PM> be fools to write off print too soon, and this is far too
PM> soon in my estimation.

A common problem with every attempt to move records/books/etc from paper.  There's a long trail of digital media that is now hard or impossible to access because either the media have deteriorated or the readers are no longer available.  Programming languages, tape, microfiche, microfilm, Wordstar, ...  Print has never been inaccessible.

I say use them all.

FYI, The Economist had an editorial about electronic publishing last week. I encourage Listees to comment, online or in print. http://www.economist.com/node/21528628.

The Economist had an article about e-readers in Dec 2009, http://www.economist.com/node/15048695.

I had the honor of my letter to the editor about this article, being printed (albeit notably redacted) the following January. http://www.economist.com/node/15211046 (Text Message).
It's hard to tell from the redacted version but much of my opinion of the downsides to e-readers was influenced by the many List discussions of the subject.

- Harimad