[LMB] why we still need paper books

Becca becca_price at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 20 19:00:36 BST 2011

>A common problem with every attempt to move records/books/etc from paper.  There's a long trail of digital media that is now hard or impossible to access because either the media have deteriorated or the readers are no longer available.  Programming languages, tape, microfiche, microfilm, Wordstar, ...  Print has never been inaccessible.

that's why a lot of people strip the DRM from their books, and save them as either PDF or epub using Calibre, and back up their files frequently.

I just listened to a webinar (I hate that word) on the future of digital books, and it's pretty clear that epub is the format of the future, even though the kindle (which uses mobi) has the biggest installed base. The experts were saying that, to "future proof" your files, you should save them as xml, but if you can't do that, save as epub. the new epub3 standards that are currently being formed have backwards compatibility with all other forms of epub as part of the standard. Mobi's future (if any) is at the whim of Amazon.

-becca