[LMB] OT: Internet in remote locations

Ed Burkhead ed at edburkhead.com
Tue Sep 20 17:55:00 BST 2011

Becca wrote:

We live half way between Ann Arbor and Brighton in SE Michigan - two
metropolitan areas. Our little town has broadband... up to about a mile from
our house. We live far enough out in the country that it's not worth the
while of the cable companies to wire us. The telephone company isn't
interested in giving us DSL . . .

There is no indication that this situation will change. Not sooner, not
later.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

There is hope for you.

A company called Lightspeed is trying to get approval to implement a
satellite-and-ground-transmitter wireless Internet system that should give
high speed Internet to most of the U.S. population.

However, it's not certain LightSpeed will work/be allowed.  Lightspeed's
system will use the portion of the spectrum directly adjacent to the GPS
band - a section of spectrum specified as being only for low power satellite
systems.

The downside is that Lightspeed also plans to install 40,000 high powered
land based transmitters and is likely to interfere with the GPS system.
This will possibly render many/most/almost-all existing GPS receivers
intermittently useless.  Replacement of the existing GPS units would be
needed to reject the interference/jamming from Lightspeed's 40,000
land-based transmitters. (That's a problem for me as we have/use three GPS
units and replacing them all would cost a fair share of $1k.  Also, all
future GPS units would be somewhat more expensive.)

Here's a very good, not too technical discussion of the issues:
http://androgeoid.com/2011/02/how-the-fcc-plans-to-destroy-gps-a-simple-expl
anation/
or, if the e-mail mangles the address, use:
http://tinyurl.com/3ecgkce

Ed