[LMB] OT: Internet in remote locations

fred smith fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Tue Sep 20 20:52:11 BST 2011

On Tue, Sep 20, 2011 at 11:55:00AM -0500, Ed Burkhead wrote:

> Becca wrote:
> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
> We live half way between Ann Arbor and Brighton in SE Michigan - two
> metropolitan areas. Our little town has broadband... up to about a mile from
> our house. We live far enough out in the country that it's not worth the
> while of the cable companies to wire us. The telephone company isn't
> interested in giving us DSL . . .
>
> There is no indication that this situation will change. Not sooner, not
> later.
> <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
>
> There is hope for you.
>
> A company called Lightspeed is trying to get approval to implement a
> satellite-and-ground-transmitter wireless Internet system that should give
> high speed Internet to most of the U.S. population.

also, some people (probably fairly techie types) have been known to set
up their own wireless network by finding a friend who DOES have whatever
service is available then getting a couple of wireless routers and a
highly directional antenna for each, install one router/antenna at their
friend's place and the other at home. this assumes you can get line-of-
sight, however, and can find a willing friend.

Good luck!

> However, it's not certain LightSpeed will work/be allowed.  Lightspeed's
> system will use the portion of the spectrum directly adjacent to the GPS
> band - a section of spectrum specified as being only for low power satellite
> systems.
>
> The downside is that Lightspeed also plans to install 40,000 high powered
> land based transmitters and is likely to interfere with the GPS system.
> This will possibly render many/most/almost-all existing GPS receivers
> intermittently useless.  Replacement of the existing GPS units would be
> needed to reject the interference/jamming from Lightspeed's 40,000
> land-based transmitters. (That's a problem for me as we have/use three GPS
> units and replacing them all would cost a fair share of $1k.  Also, all
> future GPS units would be somewhat more expensive.)
>
> Here's a very good, not too technical discussion of the issues:
> http://androgeoid.com/2011/02/how-the-fcc-plans-to-destroy-gps-a-simple-expl
> anation/
> or, if the e-mail mangles the address, use:
> http://tinyurl.com/3ecgkce
>
> Ed

                        The Lord is like a strong tower.