[LMB] OT: Internet in remote locations

quietann quietann at gmail.com
Tue Sep 20 21:06:18 BST 2011

On Tue, Sep 20, 2011 at 3:52 PM, fred smith
<fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us> wrote:

> also, some people (probably fairly techie types) have been known to set
> up their own wireless network by finding a friend who DOES have whatever
> service is available then getting a couple of wireless routers and a
> highly directional antenna for each, install one router/antenna at their
> friend's place and the other at home. this assumes you can get line-of-
> sight, however, and can find a willing friend.

A friend moved from our area to a cabin in a canyon near Rapid City,
SD and had to do this.  The cable internet provider in the area was
pretty much useless.  She was able to get permission to put the
router/antenna from someone who lives on the canyon's edge.  She had
to do this to keep her (techie) job.

Ann
quietann at gmail.com

aka "The Accidental Jewess"