[LMB] why we still need paper books

Paula Lieberman paal at gis.net
Tue Sep 20 22:29:24 BST 2011

There -are- solutions for those sorts of things, though
a)  Sometime in the past, the number of houses in the USA with TV sets, got
higher than the number of houses in the USA with indoor plumbing!  They were
getting the electricity for the TV sets -somehow- and affording the
TVs -somehow-.
b) There are on the other hand software engineers who grew up hunting deer,
moose, squirrels, sand other mammals for meat, I knew some of them....
c) There are ways to get computers without having to pay for the computers,
for accepting non-paying subscriptions services that include commercials and
advertisements. Also, the "One World Computer" was designed deliberately to
be inexpensive, and for people whose literacy level was poor.  There is the
model of printers and razors, where the profit margins for the printers and
razors are not important, because the manufacturers make their revenue
stream on razer blades and ink--see "subsidized by advertisers" above, which
is the also the model for how broadcast TV operates, the advertisers foot
the bills involved.
d) As someone else noted, there are computers/computing devices/tablets/etc.
designed for being abused by children.
e) It's better I feel to have an application on a low end inexpensive device
which does reading aloud to children, than depend for "literacy" upon
parents who themselves are illiterate and/or don't read to their children at
all, for childhood education assistance.    I was a "spontaneous reader" who
picked up reading as I sat in my mother's lap, my sister, who's older than
I, had a set of alphabet blocks that she would play with me and read the
alphabet off the letter blocks to me and having me say with her, when I was
2 or 3, and and once day as I sat in my mother's lap the word made of
letters which begam with the letter a, and what my mother was saying
(reading) to me suddenly gelled, I recognized the individual letters and
that the letters together in patterrns forms the words she was reading, and
I;'ve been reading every since (I was  3 at the time..)