[LMB] Why we still need paper books

Paula Lieberman paal at gis.net
Tue Sep 20 22:34:20 BST 2011

Literacy is something even the upper classes couldn't do in most of history,
Charlemagned learned to read as an adult, was never all that facile reading,
and was never really literate as regarding being able to -write- fluently...

"Wealth" is a relative term--no one, no matter how rich, could have fresh
seasonal out-of-season fruit in the ancient world, there was no air travel
and none of the sorts of refrigeration that exist today to support having
fresh fruit out of season of the locality one lives in.  On the other hand,
no amount of money can provide someone with a live view of dim stars in the
sky looked at by one's eyeballs in New York City, LA, Boston, Chicago, etc.,
an ordinary site to almost anyone in the ancient world....