[LMB] why we still need paper books

Paula Lieberman paal at gis.net
Tue Sep 20 22:39:07 BST 2011

Palo Alto arranged for its own civic broadband, not because there weren't
business interested in providing it, but because the local citizenry
regarded the commercial offerers as greedy exploitive usurious types, who
were going to charge prices for mediocre service at exorbitant profits for
the suppliers and again, mediocre service.  Once upon a time also,
localities owned and ran their own power and light companies as municipal
businesses owned by the localities.