[LMB] handedness, was More attitudes to women in society

A. Marina Fournier saffronrose at me.com
Wed Sep 21 06:53:16 BST 2011

On Sep 20, 2011, at 7:37 PM, Ed Burkhead wrote:
> And, yet, most aircraft are flown left handed.  Go figure!

I had no idea!

> Practice the skill and maximize the use of your intelligence.  For most of
> us, most skills CAN be done other-handed.  (Admittedly, there are a few
> people with extreme disabilities in their off hand.)

One thing I try to do is, when learning a new physical activity, to learn it on both sides as much as possible. Some of this is for immediate practical reasons. Before I learned that strokes run in the women of my mother's family, I realized that if I had a stroke or lost an arm, I could switch to using the other if I got the neural pathways started ahead of tim, just in case. Now that my mother and all three aunts have died of strokes or their aftereffects, and my younger sister has had a stroke, it's even more imperative that I do this. If we hadn't grown up using forks with our left hands, continental style, my sister would still be struggling to feed herself.

When I was younger and more agile, I could only do a tour jeté in one direction (don't ask me which one, I really can't remember). I could not, for the life of me, get my brain to let me lift off in the other direction. Drove me nuts.

> Though I'm right handed, I computer-mouse left handed so I can keep my right
> hand free for hand writing notes.  All you lefties have it easy as most
> computers you encounter are set up for YOU - right (off) hand on the mouse
> and your left hand free for hand writing.

I have known lefties who just don't get this. The first time I sat down to a Xerox Alto (with its huge "flying disk"), the mouse was on the right, and I thought that was keen, because it meant I could write left. I think more people could be mousing with their off-hand, so as to write with their dominant one.

Now if I could only find a nice-looking desk with curved legs and edges, with actual drawers like a traditional desk, but has a pull out keyboard drawer in the center, and no "tower drawer" for an oldstyle PC setup, and no clunky printer setup (given the advances in printers these days), I would be quite happy. At this point, I would have to commission one or learn fine cabinetmaking FAST. I am just not seeing desks that admit you might use a traditional desk with a computer and a phone, and maybe a printer (ours is wirelessly networked, and not on my work area). I am also seeing just 90˚ angles only on most desks. Sure, there are some fancy RTA veneer-topped pressboard or plywood items in dreamlist catalogs, but they also lack much in the way of drawers or workspace!

I will happily accept pointers/URLs to the contrary (hint).

A. Marina Fournier
SaffronRose at me.com
❦ If you want a golden rule that will fit everything, this is it: Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful or believe to be beautiful ❧ William Morris❦