[LMB] OT: Why we still need paper books

Aruvqan Myers aruvqan at gmail.com
Wed Sep 21 10:52:25 BST 2011

I count my brother as functional illiterate. He is dyslexic as I am, but he
never learned to cope and maintained an abyssmal reading speed [like 15
words per  minute if memory serves] and he does not read for enjoyment, he
will read a tv schedule to find a program to watch, he can muddle through
instructions on how to use DVD players or something like that, and he can
read work orders at his job. Last time he needed to job hunt, I helped him
work on a resume and to fill out several job applications. He is happy, so
should it matter? I think so but realistically he has found his niche and
for him it works. [I personally go nuts if I can't read. If I am not
actively doing something, or sleeping, I tend to be reading even if all it
is something as stupid as the instructions on the back of a bottle of
shampoo.]