[LMB] OT: Why we still need paper books

A. Marina Fournier saffronrose at me.com
Wed Sep 21 12:57:02 BST 2011

On Sep 21, 2011, at 2:52 AM, Aruvqan Myers wrote:
> [I personally go nuts if I can't read. If I am not
> actively doing something, or sleeping, I tend to be reading even if all it
> is something as stupid as the instructions on the back of a bottle of
> shampoo.]

I, too, am a compulsive reader. I have made some nervous because I wanted to read the text on their t-shirt. I read dedications, prefaces, epilogues and afterwords. I remember days at the breakfast table as a teen, having nothing more than the cereal box to read.

My MiL is getting daily headaches while her brain wiring is getting adjusted to the newly repaired eye. It's driving her nuts, because it seems to be triggered by her reading time. Neither of us can stand not having something to read, or a day without it.

http://www.thinkgeek.com/homeoffice/lights/5cf2/ shows a "light wedge" which has allowed me to read in bed again without disturbing my husband, who's usually in bed hours before me. Given how late it is, I may just stay up until he rises...

A. Marina Fournier
SaffronRose at me.com
The perils of ambulatory reading. If you have never said “Excuse me” to a parking meter or bashed your shins on a fireplug, you are probably wasting too much valuable reading time.

Sherri Chasin Calvo (contemp.) American computer scientist                          (Attributed)