[LMB] OT: Why we still need paper books

A. Marina Fournier saffronrose at me.com
Wed Sep 21 14:02:27 BST 2011

On Sep 21, 2011, at 5:36 AM, Harimad wrote:
> AMF> On Wed, 9/21/11, A. Marina Fournier <saffronrose at me.com> wrote:
> AMF> I, too, am a compulsive reader. I have made some nervous
> AMF> because I wanted to read the text on their t-shirt.
>
> Then why wear a t-shirt with text on it?  I never understood that.  Unless one is poor enough to have to wear what is available, or gifted to one, etc.

I think some folks see them as designs, not text to be read. Others forget what they put on that morning (I hope it was that *morning*).

A year or so ago, I was in line at the pharmacy to pick up my meds, and a woman to one side or the other of me was wearing a shirt that I also have, proclaiming the wearer a "Zin bitch". I said to her that I too was a zin bitch. Took a minute, but then she remembered what she was wearing, and then we had a nice chat about Four Vines in particular and Paso Robles zins in general. Yes, I do talk up strangers, and am often chatted up by them as well. My MiL can't understand why so many people come up to her for random assistance, or whatever.

> (This was before audiobooks so I don't know if that would have helped.  Probably not.)

Most wouldn't work for me, either. I can read faster than most folks can read aloud, and I often get bored waiting for the end of the paragraph. I am a big fail as a reader for the blind with academic books--I can't read aloud very fast at all. Stephen Fry reads books aloud at a very nice pace, and his voice keeps one engaged in what he is reading. I am no Stephen Fry, alas.

A. Marina Fournier
SaffronRose at me.com
The dearest ones of time, the strongest friends of the soul — BOOKS.

Emily Dickinson (1830-1886) American poet--Letter