[LMB] why we still need paper books

Paula Lieberman paal at gis.net
Wed Sep 21 14:22:14 BST 2011

I was referring to getting around the DRM, without having to directly crack
the DRM etc.  My point wasn;t how much effort is involved, but the that DRM
IS get-aroundable...  again, people have taken entire print books and
scanned every page of them, that was how art books by Michael Whelan
illegally wound up on AOL, and when AOL refused to take them down (this was
long before that abomination of DMCA reads like a contract written to make
Baron Ryoval happy.... the settlement was large enough that it included a
gag order on Whelan saying how much AOL paid for copyright infringement and
damages....).  My point is that the DRM mostly harms honest end users, the
sticky-fingered and copyright violators, will find ways around it, and the
most egregious offenders are e.g. Chinese factories making products, which
have contracts to make e.g.  2,000,000 units of something, and make
4,000,000 -- 2,000,000 delivered per contract to the distribution channels
specified by the contract, and the other 2,000,000 to distributions which
are NOT authorized in the contract....   DMCA does NOTHING against such
manufacturers, particularly not ones offshore from the USA.  And the hapless
buyers who get the "legal" copy have no idea that it's not an authorized
one, because the item is exactly the same, the difference is that it was one
of the unauthorized 2,000,000 units produced, and the distributor which sold
the shipment of items to the retailer, was not authorized for distributing
that shipment....